Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Strike Update

When I last wrote about the student strike here, I was really surprised that they voted to strike. Now, 2.5 weeks later, I'll be surprised if they ever vote to go back! Here's what's been going on...

After the first vote (on a Monday), they voted over 200-100 in favor of strike. Since then, they've voted twice per week and with each vote, the margin in favor of the strike just gets higher. Last I heard, the vote was over 300 to 100 against. Honestly, I don't see them going back before the end of the semester. Why? Well they have exams just like we do. If they go back, they're basically screwed b/c they've missed so much class. If they stay away, the admin. could actually change them from status "continu" (meaning they're full time students) to "ponctuel" (meaning that they only come when they can & take an exam at the end for their grade). If it were me, I'd stay away long enough so that it wouldn't affect me academically. We'll see what they ultimately decide.

They have another vote on Thursday morning. Somehow, I doubt we'll go back at that point (with one week of class left?).


Last Tuesday, Nov 20, it was a sort of national strike day. All of the syndicats / unions took to marching in the streets for... well honestly I have no idea why. I do know that all teachers were on strike that day so I guess I should've been marching with them! However it was cold and I prefer to stay in my warm apt! It was like a parade - everyone with flags and banners chanting, cars blaring music, and hundreds of people in the street. Definitely like nothing I've ever seen. The strike culture here in France (b/c it truly seems to be part of the culture) is maybe something I won't ever truly understand.

So what have I been up to in these almost 3 weeks? Hmmm good question! Ironically (or not), the SNCF (the train co) has also been on strike so for a large part of this time, the trains have been few and far between, making travel difficult. So I've been sitting around Limoges, catching up on some reading, sleeping, etc. It isn't the most interesting life, I can assure you!

I'll try and post again after the next vote but I don't think the outcome will be any different. At the very least, I can now say that I've truly experienced the French strike, first hand!

No comments: